Four of Kansas' largest school districts are preparing to sue the state over what they call 15 years of underfunded special education, a legal fight that could force more money into classrooms across the state, including Wichita's.

Blue Valley, Olathe, De Soto and Shawnee Mission school districts announced Aug. 12 that they hired the law firm Lathrop GPM to advise on the timing and strategy for a potential lawsuit against Kansas, Kansas Public Radio reported. The districts say the state has failed to meet its legal obligation to fund special education for a decade and a half.

The numbers are stark. Kansas lawmakers would have needed to add $225 million to this year's state budget to fully fund special education. They added $6 million. Last year alone, the four Johnson County districts said they redirected a combined $119 million from their general education budgets to cover the gap.

What it means for Wichita

The lawsuit targets the same state funding formula that applies to every Kansas district, including USD 259. A court ruling in the plaintiffs' favor could compel the legislature to increase special education funding statewide.

Wichita Public Schools has budgeted $177.5 million for special education in 2026-27, up from $159.4 million the prior year, according to the district's board packet. The district has not issued a public statement on the Johnson County lawsuit effort or whether it might join.

About 45,000 students returned to Wichita classrooms Aug. 17 for the start of the school year, as KMUW reported. In July 2025, the district said paused federal education funding carried a potential impact of more than $6.3 million on Wichita students.

The lawsuit has not yet been filed, and the districts have not announced a timeline for doing so.

New rules on active shooter drills

Separately, a new state law changes how Kansas schools conduct active shooter drills as the school year begins.

SB 263 bans active shooter drills of any kind in elementary schools. Instead, teachers may only use tabletop exercises, talking students through what to do without simulating an actual emergency. The law also bans active shooter simulations through eighth grade.

John Calvert, the state's head school safety specialist, told Kansas Public Radio on Aug. 14 that the change is immediate: "But no longer will we be doing active shooter drills K through 5."

Middle and high schools can still conduct typical active shooter drills, but they must notify parents in advance and allow them to opt their children out.

What's next

USD 259's proposed 2026-27 budget hearing is scheduled for Sept. 14, at 6 p.m. at the Alvin E. Morris Administrative Center, 903 S. Edgemoor. The district's total proposed budget is approximately $1.35 billion in expenditures. Residents can attend to ask questions or raise objections about how funds, including the $177.5 million special education allocation, are spent.